I haven’t updated since July… and really, my life seemingly did a 180 in that time span. My last couple of posts were about hiking a 14er and the need to do more than just bike bike bike.
So what did I do, July 2017 through today, January 13, 2018?
- I showed up to a Laramie Mountain Bike Series race finally, mostly because they wanted the trophy back (the open series winner trophy is a roaming trophy that goes to the next winner every year). I won race #5 in complete surprise, and in one of the toughest battles I have ever had in a XCO length race. And I won thanks to my DESCENDING skills. Yes, I won on the descents. The DESCENTS. Hands down one of the best days on a bike ever. And marked the 3rd year in a row that I’ve won LMBS race #5 for open women. It’s MY race, clearly.
- I ran a couple more 5k’s.
- I learned the Steamboat Stinger is best raced not hungover.
- I climbed Mount Massive, which is the 3rd highest peak in the contiguous US. 2nd highest in Colorado. I ate gummy bears, said embarrassing things about Slovaks, and enjoy more time with my great friend Lydia.
- I ran up Medicine Bow Peak. RAN.
- I skipped Dakota 5-O for photographing SCCA rallycross, which I haven’t been to since 2012. I got dirty and giggled like a little kid during ride-a-longs
- I won 3 single speed cross races, and had poor results at most of the rest of them. I won at taking beer hand ups. Finished 2nd in the Colorado Cross Cup.
- I raced in my first rallycross event and learned that mountain biking skills cross over to racing a car on dirt somewhat. And I wasn’t last in any of the races I did. #winning
- I camped in the snow.
- The Boy and I road tripped to Moab for my 34 birthday. He broke his hand 5 miles into the Whole Enchilada, and yet finished the rest of the ride (another 21 miles) by blowing me out the water on technical features. We camped. We off-roaded Fozzy and explored and drank Redd’s apple ale under the milky way. We finished off with a hike up to Hanging Lake.
- I strapped on alpine skis for the first time in nearly 9 years and realized how amazingly awesome it is to fly down snowy hills.
- I purchased a plane ticket to Iceland after planning for 4 years and having to postpone the trip due to changing jobs in 2017.
- I’ve done yoga since mid-October every single week.
- I sat on my couch a lot. I cuddled my cat. I worried what was happening because I was not constantly riding a bike
I lived life.
Hope is not lost for the bicycle. I think some people think this of me. I think I finally just learned balance… or got the bug to just have a crazy life that involves a lot of different activities.
For 2018 I will continue racing for 9Seventy Racing, a team of kick ass multisport athletes. I have registered for the Gunnison Half Growler for the 4th year in the row. I have plans to race LMBS, Gowdy Grinder, Lory XTERRA (relay again), and Erock Sunrise to Sunset. Maybe a little bit of road, though I’m not looking forward to renewing my USAC license. I am requesting a downgrade to cat 1 in mountain bike, because let’s face it, my desire to be pro is long gone. In between I will ski a lot, fat bike, avoid the trainer, camp, laugh, smile, sit on my ass if I want to, and furiously keep planning my 19 day trip to Iceland.
Here’s to 2018 and the adventures that lie ahead, regardless of if I ride bikes or not!